Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Designers as connectors.

I am reading this book called "How to think like a great graphic designer" which is the worst title for the book because of the cheese factor. The book however is filled with little pearls of wisdom and is a cool read because these little thoughts stick with me and I find myself thinking "oh, oh, I have to relay this to the class tomorrow". Most recently is the thought that designers are connectors and not creators and as of late I would agree with summation. We do quite a bit of connecting dots a.k.a. ideas. We show the clients what in most cases they are already doing and doing very well. I am not sure how many failing businesses run out and hire designers to rescue failing business but good ones understand the need or don't understand the need but just want to look cooler. In any case they not understand why they are successful and it our task to discern their qualities and form solutions that will show the market these qualities. We connect the dots between client's needs and seller's needs.

No comments: